Youth and Family Unit FAQ

No answers matched your search
How do I report Child abuse or neglect?

Anyone who suspects that a child has been abused/neglected or is at risk of abuse or neglect, you should report it to the Iowa County Department of Social Services (608) 930-9801, ask to speak with the Access Worker, during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. or after hours contact the Sheriff’s Department (608) 930-9500.  If this is an emergency, please dial 911.

What information do I need to make a report?

When you call to make a report of child abuse/neglect you will be asked to provide as much information as you know.  You will be asked for specific information.  Please provide everything you know.  You will be asked the following:

  • The child/children’s first and last name – middle initial, if possible.
  • The child/children’s date of birth or approximate ages.
  • The child’s parents or legal guardian names and dates of birth, if known
  • The address and/or phone number of where the child resides
  • The address and/or phone number of where the alleged maltreatment occurred.
  • Where the children attend school or daycare
  • If the child/children have special needs
  • A description of what you have seen or heard
  • A description of the family, highlighting general functioning, current stresses and how the family might respond to intervention.
  • The names of any other people having knowledge of the abuse
  • If the child/children have any Native American heritage

The names of reporters are not given out to families reported for child abuse or neglect; however, sometimes by the nature of the information reported, your identity may become evident to the family.  You may request to make your report anonymously, but your report may be considered more credible and can be more helpful to Child Protective Services (CPS) if you give your name.

General Information
Phone Numbers
(608) 930-9801
Fax: (608) 471-1081
Emergencies: Dial 911
303 W. Chapel St.
Suite 2300

8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday