Economic Support

The Economic Support Unit manages financial assistance programs to help residents sustain and/or improve their quality-of-life through helping meet basic living and healthcare needs. The programs that are managed by this unit include the following federally-funded programs:  

BadgerCare Plus (BC+)    

Medicaid for the Elderly, Blind, or Disabled    

Foodshare also known as SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

Caretaker Supplement (CTS)     

Wisconsin Shares – Child Care subsidy    

Child Care Certification      

4C Helping Communities Help Children- Provider resources and services  

Your Guide to Regulated Child Care   

 Are you looking for a Child Care Provider?   

Informational Resources for Wisconsin Shares and YoungStar:

Wisconsin Shares Brochures 

Improving the Way Your Family Pays for Child Care   (DCF-P-5099)  

Eligibility Guidelines 

Understanding Your Authorization Notice  

Rights and Responsibilities  

Preventing MyWIChildCare Fraud  


YoungStar Brochures    

Give Your Child a Great Start


YoungStar Fact Sheets    

Interviewing Providers: What to Ask Before You Choose

Reading the Stars: Choosing Child Care with YoungStar

Finding Child Care for Children with Special Needs

Getting the Most Out of Child Care: Family Engagement

Your Child's Nutrition: At Home & Away from Home

Know the Milestones: Monitoring Your Child's Development

Wisconsin Home Energy Plus Programs (WHEAP)    

              1. Online at:    Home Energy or

              2. Call:  1-608-930-9801

              3. WHEAP Application

Mail to:        Iowa County Department of Social Services

                        303 W Chapel Street – Suite 2300

                        Dodgeville, WI  53530

                    Monday - Friday: 8:00 - 4:30

Fax to:           1-608-935-0371

Email to:

To apply for all forms of BadgerCare Plus, Medicaid, Child Care and FoodShare you can do the following:     

To apply by phone  , call the Southern Consortium Call Center* at 1 (888) 794-5780 between 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Friday. Call Thursdays between 11:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.   

To apply in person  , visit the Iowa County Dept. of Social Services.   

To apply by mail  , request/complete an application for each program you are applying for and send the completed application and any proof/verification to:               


     PO Box 5234     

     Janesville, WI 53547-5234


or  Fax to: 1 (855) 293-1822   

or              Drop off in person at:               

   Iowa County Dept. of Social Services   

   303 W. Chapel Street, Suite 2300   

   Dodgeville, WI 53533   

To Report Fraud, click here to file a complaint  : 

Wisconsin Shares Child Care, W-2, Adoption Assistance, Kinship Care and Refugee Services  or 1 (877) 302-3728   

Medicaid, BadgerCare Plus, WIC or FoodShare Program  or 1 (877) 865-3432   


*A consortium is made up of a group of county agencies that determine enrollment and ongoing case management. You can request services at any of the county agencies within your consortium. The following counties are part of the Southern Consortium:   

Crawford, Grant, Green, Iowa, Jefferson, Lafayette, and Rock.   

You can also call the Southern Consortium Call Center 1 (888) 794-5780 to:   

  • Get information about programs & eligibility or ask questions about your case,   
  • Set eligibility filing date for programs,   
  • Complete your interactive interview or schedule an intake interview appointment,   
  • Process eligibility renewals for ongoing benefits,   
  • Report address, income, expense, and asset changes,   
  • Report anyone moving in/out of the household, or   
  • Report pregnancy and pregnancy end.  

Central Data Processing Unit  (CDPU)

All paper applications and verification items should be MAILED to CDPU, PO Box 5234, Janesville, WI 53547-5234, 

FAXED to 1-855-293-1822, or 



Original documents mailed to the CDPU will NOT be returned.

General Information
Phone Numbers
(608) 930-9801
Fax: (608) 471-1081
Emergencies: Dial 911
303 W. Chapel St.
Suite 2300

8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday