General Information
Thomas C. Slaney
Phone Numbers
(608) 930-9801
Fax: (608) 935-0371
Emergencies: Dial 911
303 W. Chapel St.
Suite 2300

8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday

Economic Support FAQ

No answers matched your search

General Questions

There are several ways that you can apply for benefits:

1. You can apply for benefits online at -  24/7.

2. You can contact the Southern Consortium Call Center at 1-888-794-5780  8:30 am to 3:30 pm

    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Thursday 11:00 am to 3:30 pm – call to request to set

    a filing date electronically.

3. You can call the Iowa County Department of Social Services – Economic Support Unit at 608-930-

    9801  Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. and request to have an application be mailed to you.

4. You can stop into our office at 303 W Chapel Street – Suite 2300 in Dodgeville, WI Monday-Friday

    between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and pick up an application.

If you have created an account in access and are not able to access your account, you may have to reset your password, which you can do from the login page on ACCESS. Look for the statement “If you have forgotten your User ID or password, click here” located under the login button. Follow the instructions from there. If you continue to have problems, you can contact Member Services at 1-800-362-3002.

It is highly recommended you write down your ACCESS account information and store it in a secure place.

The allotted processing time for a regular application is 30 days from the date we receive your application in our office, which we refer to as your application filing date. We make every effort to process requests as quickly as we can. When you turn in verifications or report changes, the processing timeline is generally 10 days from the date that we receive and date-stamp the documents in our office. Documents are processed in the order that they are received.

Providing the needed verifications for applications, changes and renewals is the easiest way to speed up the process. You can find a general list of verification requirements in the instruction section of a paper application or thru however, there will be times that we may need to request further information. All programs require that you verify earned and unearned income; therefore, submitting your most recent 30 days of paystubs from your job is always helpful and can save time. Or if you are self-employed, submitting your complete tax records from the previous filing year (both personal and business) for example.

The fax number to the Central Data Processing Unit (CDPU) is 1 (855) 293-1822

You can contact the Southern Consortium Call Center at 1 (888) 794-5780. 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday and Thursday 11:00 am to 3:30 pm.   

If you have general questions/inquiries or if you want to report changes (for example, a change in income, household composition, address, rent/mortgage amount) you can contact the Southern Consortium Call Center at 1 (888) 794-5780.

The Southern Consortium Call Center is staffed by Economic Support agents from across the consortium, including Iowa County. When you call the Call Center, you will be able to speak to a live person within a few minutes. They will be able to assist you with most questions; however there may be times that you will be referred back to your local agency for further assistance. The local teams are assigned daily tasks and are diligently working on processing applications, documents, and renewals as well as returning calls, conducting interviews and appointments with customers.  Therefore, if you call the local teams, you will be directed to call the Southern Consortium Call Center. 

BadgerCare Benefits

Your INITIAL premium will need to be sent to the local agency. You can either drop the payment off or mail the payment to:

Iowa County Department of Social Services

Economic Support

303 W Chapel Street – Suite 2300

Dodgeville, WI  53533

All subsequent premiums should be mailed to:

BadgerCare Plus Premiums

PO Box 93187

Milwaukee, WI 53293

Make checks payable to BadgerCare Plus and be sure to include your case number on the check.

You can also have your premiums withdrawn from your checking account automatically by completing this form: BadgerCare-Plus Premium Member/Employer Electronics Funds Transfer Completion.This is a simple way to ensure your premiums are deducted on time in an effort to avoid any possible lapse in coverage.

Call Member Services at 1 (800) 362-3002 to:

  • Ask question about covered services and copay,
  • Ask questions about enrollment rules,
  • Find a provider,
  • Replace your lost, stolen, or damaged ForwardHealth card.

If need to find out which HMO you are enrolled in, Call 1 (800) 362-3002

FoodShare Benefits

If you already have a Wisconsin Quest card (EBT card), your benefits will be on your card the following day. If this is the first time you are receiving FoodShare benefits, you will be mailed a Wisconsin Quest card from Madison the evening that your benefits are approved. You should receive your card in approximately 5-7 days. Your benefits will be available for your use as soon as you call and activate your card. Note: If you have ever received FoodShare benefits in the past, you will not automatically receive another card at the time of a new application. If you no longer have that card, you will need to call Quest Customer Services at 1 (877) 415-5164 and request a new card be sent to you.

If you lose or misplace your FoodShare card, you can call QUEST Customer Services at 1 (877) 415-5164 and they will deactivate your lost card and send you a new card.  Once you receive the new card you will again need to call to activate it. 

Each month that you are enrolled in FoodShare, your benefits will automatically be added to your QUEST card.  The date you get your benefit is based on the eighth digit of your Social Security number. 

Eighth Digit of your Social Security Number

Day of the Month your FoodShare Benefits will be Available





















Caretaker Supplement

The Caretaker Supplement (CTS) An additional amount of monthly cash benefit provided to certain SSI recipients in Wisconsin who reside with their dependent children. Wisconsin funds this benefit with a combination of state dollars and its federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant. ( CTS Caretaker Supplement - An additional amount of monthly cash benefit provided to certain SSI recipients in Wisconsin who reside with their dependent children. Wisconsin funds this benefit with a combination of state dollars and its federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) grant. ) is a cash benefit program.  The program’s benefit recipients are low-income parents who receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) payments.  These SSI parents receive CTS benefits for each of their eligible children.  A CTS benefit is $250 per month for the first eligible child and $150 per month for each subsequent eligible child.

Fair Hearing

Ask your local agency to help you file for a fair hearing or write directly to:

            Department of Administration

            Division of Hearings and Appeals

            PO Box 7875

            Madison, WI  53707-7875

Or: call (608) 264-9854

Or: complete the Request for Fair Hearing form found on:

If the fair hearing request is for FoodShare only, you can call the Southern Consortium Call Center at 1-888-794-5780.  Your request can be made verbally, in person, or by telephone to your local agency.


An application for energy assistance can be completed at Iowa County Department of Social Services- 303 W. Chapel Street, Suite 2300 – Dodgeville, WI or call (608) 930-9801 to request an application or an appointment. 

The WHEAP program is administered by a different State department than FoodShare and BadgerCare and applications are processed in a separate and different system. Staff may not be able to view or use the documents that you have provided for other programs once they have been filed as a case record. To avoid confusion and delays, it is highly recommended you indicate on the documents whether you are submitting the documents for WHEAP purposes vs. FoodShare and BadgerCare Plus purposes. We also encourage you to write a case number or applicant ID number as well.

Non-Emergency Medical Transportation

Contact MTM, Inc. to schedule a ride at 1 (866) 907-1493. 

To find out where your ride is:  1 (866) 907-1494

File a complaint:  1 (866) 436-0457

Affordable Care Act

Visit the website: www.healt or call: 1 (800) 318-2596