Groundwater Project Funding

The Iowa County Land Conservation Department is accepting applications for one-time cost-share projects aimed at a variety of practice options to reduce groundwater contamination. Funds are limited and must be used in 2024 or 2025. Most eligible projects will be awarded first-come first-served.

Funding includes up to $5,000 for Iowa County landowners to replace old septic systems, replace wells that connect aquifers, or protect sinkholes and mineshafts.

  • Cost-share to replace wells that are open to both the upper and lower groundwater aquifers (based on well construction report). 70% cost-share up to a maximum of $5,000. (*note: if applying for both well replacement and well abandonment, maximum total payment is $7,500).
  • Well abandonment cost-share: 20% cost-share available, which may be combined with Land Conservation’s existing 70% cost-share funds for a total of 90%. Cisterns are also eligible.
  • Cost-share for sinkhole and mineshaft protection or closure. 70% cost-share up to a maximum of $5,000. Must be located within an ag field or livestock production area (or clearly receive runoff from ag use). Protection via diversions and fencing will likely be the most feasible, but full closure is an option if costs, timeline, and technical assistance allow.

Funding also increases cost-sharing nutrient management planning and offers a new incentive payment to farmers to assess nitrogen use efficiency or conduct a nitrogen rate trial. Priority given to areas mapped as “most susceptible” to groundwater contamination.
  • Nutrient Management Planning (NMP) cost-share: Total of $44 per acre for land that has not received Iowa County NMP cost-share in the past. ($12/ac combined with $32/ac from existing Land Conservation Department funding.) OR $20/ac for landowners who are ineligible for other Land Conservation NMP funds due to cost-sharing received by previous owners.
  • Nitrogen Use Efficiency Assessment Incentive: $750 for simple assessment, $1500 for advanced, using Discovery Farms NUE assessment guidelines: Nitrogen Use Efficiency
  • You can also propose your own N trial for approval by the Land Conservation Department; conservation staff will determine which incentive level would apply.

Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis, until funds are depleted.

Apply online or mail application to the Land Conservation Department, 303 W Chapel Street, Dodgeville, WI 53533.

Contact Katie Abbott with any questions: 608-930-9893 or


General Information
Phone Numbers
(608) 930-9891
Emergencies: Dial 911
303 W Chapel Street
Suite 2100

8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday