Passport FAQ
No answers matched your search
General Questions

The Iowa County Clerk of Circuit Court’s office provides passport services and forms for new passport applicants, as well as providing forms (only) for passport renewals.  Further information and downloadable forms are also available at              

Please note, children 15 years old or younger are required to have two parents/guardians present.  Children 16 and 17 years old are required to have one parent present.

Do I need an appointment to apply?

The Iowa County Clerk of Court’s office does not require an appointment to apply for your passport.  Our office will take applications during regular business hours, Monday – Friday     8:30 am – 4:00 pm.

Do I need to be there in person?

Yes.  Any person applying for a passport must be present in person, including children.

What forms do I need to complete the application?
  • Application form
  • A certified copy of your birth certificate
  • Driver’s license, ID card, active passport, military ID
  • Payment
Why does my child need to be present?

Passport agents are required to verify the photo of the person applying matches the individual.

How long will it take to get my passport?

The US Passport Agency has advised it will take approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your passport after application.  However, many people receive their passports back in much less time.

Why do I need a certified copy of my birth certificate and where do I get one?

A certified birth certificate is required as proof of citizenship and can be obtained from your county’s Register of Deeds office.   Please note, the original certified copy will be sent in with your application.  It will be returned to you in a separate envelope once your passport is complete.  Other birth records, such as hospital certificates, are not an accepted proof of citizenship.

What is the difference between a passport book and a passport card?

A passport card allows a traveler to enter Canada, Mexico and Caribbean countries but only by land or sea.  You cannot gain entry if you plan to fly into any of these destinations.  The card is still valid for 10 years (adult) and for 5 years (child).

A passport book allows you to travel anywhere in the world by any means as long as the passport is valid.

My passport just expired, can I still renew?

Yes.  You can renew your passport if it was originally issued to you as an adult AND if it was issued within 15 years of the present date.

If I am applying for a renewal passport, do I need to bring it to a passport agent?

No.  If you are doing a renewal, you handle it on your own.  You obtain a new picture and the renewal application and submit it, with your current passport, to the address provided.  The fee for a passport book renewal is $110 and for a passport card is $30.  Checks should be made out to the US Department of State and sent with your application.

Do I need my marriage certificate?

The only time you would need to present your marriage certificate is if your name differed between the name on your application and your driver’s license.  If so, we would send the marriage certificate in, just as a birth certificate, and it would be returned to you.

What if my child has only one available parent?

Often, both parents are not able to be present at the time of application due to work obligations, military involvement, incarceration, or many other instances.  A Statement of Consent (DS-3053) or Statement of Exigent/Special Family Circumstances (DS-5525) is available to allow a parent/guardian to grant authorization by proxy. 

I lost my passport, what do I do?

Unfortunately, you will need to apply for a new passport.  In addition, you should fill out a Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport (DS-64) and submit it with your application.

Can I expedite my application?

Yes.  For an extra fee, you can get your passport within a couple of weeks. 

What if I need a passport within a few days?

If you can prove an emergency within your immediate family that will require a passport, call the US Passport Agency at 1-877-487-2778 or review online information at