By State Statute, Applicants must be 18 years of age at time of Application to qualify for a marriage license. Applicants between 16-18 years of age can be married with parental consent. A parental Consent form must be filed in the County Clerk’s office. Witnesses signing the Marriage License must be 18 years of age.
· CERTIFIED COPIES of Birth Certificates are required for all applicants. We will not issue a Marriage License without the Certified Copy. The birth certificate should have a raised seal on it from the Register of Deeds or Vital Records Division of the State of Wisconsin or state of birth. Hospital certificates are not acceptable.
· Must show proof of residency, with a Drivers License to prove residency, or a bill stating new address. The license is good for 60 days after date issued.
· If previously married, we will need certified copies of divorce papers, death certificate or court annulment from most recent marriage.
· A current Social Security Card is required by both applicants.
· Need the Name, Address, and Phone number of person who is officiating, and the date the marriage will take place.
· Need the City, Village or Township where the marriage will take place.
· Need the name of your two (2) witnesses.
· $100 Fee for the License, cash or check, with the check made payable to Iowa County Clerk.
· There is a 3-day waiting period required between application and issuance of license. The day you apply does not count toward the 3 days.
· BOTH applicants must sign the application and marriage license. They must be signed in the presence of the County Clerk, or a Deputy.
· Applications are by APPOINTMENT ONLY (608) 935-0399 at the Iowa County Clerk’s office between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, excluding legal holidays.