8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Friday
Marriage License Checklist
The couple must apply together and in person. If either applicant lives in Wisconsin, they must apply in the county where one or both of them have physically resided for at least 30 days prior to the date of application. The license may then be used to marry in any county in Wisconsin. If both applicants live out of state they must apply in the county where the ceremony will take place.
- Arrangements for the wedding must be set PRIOR to applying for a marriage license. At the time of application you will tell us the date and place (the county, and the city, township or village) where the ceremony will take place. The full name, address and phone# of the officiant.
- Each person must provide Photo I.D. and Social Security Card. If the applicant does not have a Social Security number the space will be marked "none."
- A printed document proving where each of you have physically lived for the 30 days prior to application, such as, but not limited to, a driver's license, lease, utility bill, dated mail or bank statement. You must also know whether you live in a city, village or township and county where you reside.
- Certified birth certificate issued by the state or county where each person was born. The hospital birth certificate is not acceptable. Photocopies of birth certificates are NOT acceptable. You must know how to correctly spell your parents full names - first and middle and mother's maiden name.
- If either applicant was previously married we must see a judgment of divorce, legal annulment, or death certificate from the most recent marriage. The printout from CCAP is not acceptable . Divorced persons may not remarry until six months after the granting of the judgment of divorce, regardless of where the action took place .
- The legal age for marriage in Wisconsin is 18. If an applicant is 16 or 17 years of age, a consent form needs to be signed by the parents or guardian before the County Clerk.
- There is a five day waiting period between the application and the date the license is issued. The waiting period may be waived if both applicants live out of state.
- The license fee is $75 payable by cash, check or credit card.
Applications are by appointment only at the County Clerks’ Office (608-935-0399) between the hours of 9:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays.