By order of the Iowa County Highway Department; the highway department will be performing an asphalt pavement resurfacing project on the Bike / Pedestrian Trail along STH 23 between Hillside School Road and CTH C in the Town of Wyoming.   The project will also include removal and replacement of a 32-foot pedestrian bridge along the trail near the CTH T intersection.   The Bike / Pedestrian Trail will be closed to all through traffic starting on Monday June 20, 2022 through Thursday June 23, 2022.   The existing trail surface will be ground in place and levelled off for sub-structure support.  The trail will be left in the state of a gravel pathway surface for a period of 4 to 8 weeks.   A new asphalt trail surface will be placed in late July / Early August.


Also, during this timeframe; the easternmost pedestrian bridge along the trail will be removed and replaced starting around Thursday June 23rd.   The trail between CTH TZ and Hillside School Road will be closed starting Thursday June 23 through Monday July 18 for structure removal and replacement.  The existing steel girder railing and concrete deck structure will be replaced with a new timber deck with timber railings.  In addition, the westernmost bridge structure will have some abutment repairs performed during the same timeframe.


It is anticipated the trail will reopen to use from the Hillside School Road intersection to the intersection with CTH C on or about Monday August 15, 2022.


If you have any questions regarding this project or the improvements, please contact the Highway Office at (608) 935-3381.




Respectfully Submitted,


Craig E Hardy, PE-RLS

Iowa County Highway Commissioner

Southwest WI Groundwater and Geology (SWIGG) Study of Grant, Iowa, and Lafayette Counties



Monday May 16, 2022

6:00-8:30 PM

Grant County Fairgrounds- Youth & Ag Building

916 East Elm Street Lancaster, WI 53813


Online viewing through Zoom    Meeting ID- 848 5839 7099    Passcode- 916914

limited to 500 participants


Members of the public, press, and elected officials are invited to attend. Presentations by the SWIGG researchers will be followed by a moderated Q&A session. Must be present in-person to participate in Q&A. The final report, summary, and event recording will be available online at in the days following the event. The SWIGG Study was conducted in three phases to better understand the extent, identify sources, and analyze risk factors of private well water contamination in Grant, Iowa, and Lafayette Counties. 


A quorum of the Grant, Iowa, and/or Lafayette County Boards of Supervisors, and/or a Committee thereof, may be present at this informational meeting. There will be no action taken by any committee or Board of Supervisors.


STH 23 Closure to begin May 16, 2022

Please note road closure on STH 23 from STH 39 to County line for a culvert / bridge replacement from May 16th through August.

WIS 23 Project Overview.pdf 

Iowa County Crime Prevention Surcharge Fund Grant Application Announcement

Iowa County is pleased to announce that it is now accepting applications for Crime Prevention Surcharge Fund Grants to be awarded pursuant to Wis. Stat. § 59.54(28).  The Grant Application is to be submitted to Iowa County Crime Prevention Funding Board Chair Matthew Allen either by email to or in hard copy form to the Iowa County District Attorney’s Office, 222 North Iowa Street, Dodgeville, WI 53533.  To be considered for a grant award, the application must be received by the Application Deadline listed below.  


For this funding cycle, a total of up to $10,000.00 will be available for grant awards.  It is anticipated that the amount of grant funding applied for may exceed the amount of total funding available, so Iowa County may not be able to fund, or to fully fund, every grant application it receives.  If your organization is awarded a Crime Prevention Surcharge Fund Grant, you will be required to submit a W-9 form to Iowa County prior to disbursement of grant funds.  In addition, your organization will be required to submit a Grant Recipient Annual Report (which also is available for download at the Iowa County website noted above) by January 15th of each calendar year following a grant award until the grant funding has been fully spent. 


Application Deadline: June 16th, 2022


Review of Applications by Crime Prevention Funding Board: June 30th, 2022

County Trunk Highway II at the Factory Road intersection in the Town of Highland

By order of the Iowa County Highway Department; work will begin on County Trunk Highway II at the Factory Road intersection in the Town of Highland on or about Friday April 8, 2022.  The highway department in conjunction with the Wisconsin Department of Transportation and Concrete Structures Inc. of Janesville will be replacing the Otter Creek Bridge crossing at the intersection of Factory Road.    This work will consist of bridge removal and replacement along with roadway reconstruction on CTH II and Factory Roads.   The road will remain open to through traffic through use of the existing bridge until August.  In August, traffic will be transitioned to the new bridge location, roadway alignments, and the existing bridge will be dismantled and removed.   full road closure of all traffic for the work.    The work will commence on or about Friday April 8th and continue through the month of August.   It is anticipated the road and bridge will remain to traffic at all times, although some localized disruptions may occur during daytime hours for moving of equipment, culvert installation, and other incidental construction activities.   


Reminder National Work Zone Safety Awareness week is April 11th thru the 15th.   Please SLOW DOWN AND MOVE OVER, when in work zones.   If you have any questions regarding this project or lane closures, please contact the Highway Office at (608) 935-3381.

Iowa County Drive-Thru Testing Clinics: Change in Hours of Operation

March 7, 2022

Iowa County Health Department

Director/Health Officer

Debbie Siegenthaler RN, MSN

Iowa County Drive-Thru Testing Clinics: Change in Hours of Operation

Iowa County – The Iowa County drive thru COVID-19 PCR testing site, which operates Tuesday and Thursday mornings, will be reducing hours of operation. The clinic will operate from 9:00am to 10:00am Tuesday and Thursday mornings, beginning with our clinic on Thursday, March 10, 2022. The clinic site is located at the Iowa County HHS Building; 303 W. Chapel St, Dodgeville. As a reminder, we will not conduct testing in extreme cold or inclement weather and will announce cancellations approximately 24 hours in advance.

No appointment is necessary but registration is required. To register, please go to Testing is free to anyone above the age of 1 year who is symptomatic or asymptomatic. Minors must be accompanied by a parent or guardian with consent. Masks are required. If you need help registering, you can call the health department a day or two before you’d like to test.

Additional testing options locally found at

Follow us on social media sites for ongoing announcements. Iowa County Health Dept Facebook - Iowa County Emergency Management on Twitter - Iowa County Emergency Management on Facebook -


I Am a Veteran…. Do I Need Medicare?

Medigap Helpline Services                                                      February 18, 2022 

I Am a Veteran…. Do I Need Medicare?

There are many people who have served this country in the armed services. These Veterans (if meeting eligibility requirements and priority levels) may be receiving their health care through Veterans Administration (VA) facilities. Common questions that are asked by veterans include: “Do I need Medicare or Medicare Part B?”, “Do I need a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan?” and “Do I need other supplemental health care coverage?” This article will briefly address the coverage that a veteran may have and the reasons for considering having alternative coverage as well.


First, for a veteran to be eligible for VA benefits, they need to meet Military Service requirements, having served at least 24 continuous months of service (there are a number of exceptions). Contact your County Veteran’s Service Officer (CVSO) for more information on eligibility requirements or if there are any service-connected disabilities. Veterans are assigned to a “Priority Group”. If funding becomes an issue, the lowest priority groups may be “suspended” from receiving VA services or “closed” to new enrollees. Note: non-veteran spouses or dependents generally do not qualify for VA health care.


If a Veteran receives care in a VA facility for a service-connected condition, the VA covers incurred expenses. For non-service connected conditions, the VA is required to also bill other health insurance carriers that the veteran may have. The VA cannot bill Medicare for services, but they will bill a supplemental policy. The funds collected help offset the cost of care and allow the VA to provide services for more veterans.


Answers to some of the more frequently asked questions:


“Do I need Medicare Part B?”


The VA’s funding for non-service connected conditions may be limited; therefore enrolling in Part B allows the veteran to be able to receive covered healthcare services in non-VA facilities. If a

veteran travels or lives some distance away from VA facilities, having Part B assures coverage when it is necessary to get services in non-VA facilities. To avoid incurring possible penalties, it is advisable for the veteran to enroll into Part B when the veteran becomes eligible for Medicare if they are not covered by an Employer Group Plan or a spouse’s employer plan due to active employment.


“Do I need a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan (Part D)?”


The quick answer is NO. If the veteran is eligible by priority status to obtain medication through a VA Outpatient Pharmacy, they do not need to enroll into Part D. The VA Pharmacy benefits are considered “creditable coverage” so a veteran may choose to enroll into Part D at a later date and will not incur any penalties. A veteran may want to enroll into Part D sooner if accessing VA medications is difficult due to distance, if the prescriptions are not available thru the VA pharmacy or if the veteran qualifies for “extra help” with Part D and would therefore have low costs with the Part D plan. (Annual Election Period to enroll into Part D is October 15th thru December7th of every year.)


“Do I need a Medicare Supplement or other healthcare insurance?”


As long as a veteran receives services through a VA facility, there is no need for other coverage. However, if a veteran receives services in non-VA facilities, they will only have Medicare A&B and will be subject to the out-of-pocket deductibles and coinsurance (except for certain circumstances with emergency care for service-connected conditions). These costs can add up so it may be preferable to also purchase a Medicare Supplemental policy to cover expenses after Medicare A&B. Having this coverage also gives more freedom of choice in selecting health care providers. Some veterans have opted to enroll in Medicare Advantage Plans (plans which replace Original Medicare A&B) to minimize the impact of the cost of care outside a VA facility in the event of an emergency or if they choose to see a non-VA provider.


There are choices our veterans have when it comes to choosing health care coverage. The information in this publication is meant for general educational use and is not advice. To better understand military benefits, find a County Veteran Service Officer at 1-800-947-8387 or for listings of local CVSOs. Also call to speak with a Medigap Insurance Counselor (1-800-242-1060) to learn about health care coverage if you should require services outside of the VA system.

Submitted by: Vicki J. Buchholz,

Medigap Helpline Services Supervisor

Updated: 02/18/22



General Information